Friday, September 12, 2014

The Moon and the Owl.

The wind hustled, as the cold moon smiled,
Leaves of the untouched future, rusting away,
Shine with me, oh moon, shine with me.

An owl's hoot, woke me my from my slumber,
A constant knock on the window, 
I can see it, see it fade, see it grow.

My eyes catch the little pale smirk, 
On the face of the moon, as she smiles,
I hope for the night to last, for the light to fade,

The shadows dance, as the clouds drift,
Playing hide and seek with my fear,
She smiles, she laughs, she dances with the clouds.

I hear the wind sing me a lullaby,
The rustling of the leaves, add music to the cry,
The wind grows cold, as does my heart.

The shadows turn to faces, as the clouds drift,
They live, they die, as she smiles,
They merge, they disappear, dance away.

I see a little boy, holding my hand,
Another knock on the widow, my sleep fails,
The nigh grows darker, the shadows fade.

I hear the wings flap, a hoot, as she flies,
The moon smiles, fading at times with the drifting clouds,
I want her near, hold her, feel her cold light.

Night is young she says, as she sits on the shoulder,
The little boy cringes, a hoot, to comfort,
The silver of the moon, makes her shine.

Hold me close she says, the light would come,
The little boy leaves my side, walks away,
Disappearing into the shadows.

Close your eyes as I sing you a lullaby,
Hoot, she says, a knock on the window,
My sleep is gone, with her light, she fades.

Fly with me she says, and she spreads her wings,
I miss the little boy, and I know he won't return,
So into the wind I fly, bathed in her silver sheen.

3 comments:

Ravenclaw said...

Very pictorial and imaginative. It is impossible to not be bathed in the moonlight that shines through this poem. We are right away transported to a moonlit night with the soft rustling of the leaves in the wind and the hoot of the owl feel bringing to life the cloudy night. The game of hide and seek between the moon and the clouds end up making us rivetted on the shapes and shadows formed as they dance and fade away... Beautiful!

Ravenclaw said...

Who is the boy, but? Is he your innocence? The child in you who is afraid to fly or be adventurous? Is he the scared, doubting part of you who keeps you back from taking risks? Is this poem meant to be a kind of a rite of initiation wherein you leave behind your childish insecurities and rise high on clouds to fly in the moonlit sky? Or is the boy just meant to denote your past self who was too scared to enjoy the beauty of the night, which now you as an adult can appreciate? I am kind of real curious. Or dont tell me the little boy is the owl?!!!

Timothy Jude said...

The scared kid mostly. :D