Tuesday, June 7, 2011

City of Stones


This is the 100th post, so I thought why not write about something which doesn't make any sense.

The silence had settled in, as the carriage rattled away,
And through that silence, I began my journey back home.

Myriad lanes writhed in front of me, like the desert snakes,
Some loud and pompous, while others silent as the day.

I chose the one which ran by the river, with lush green trees,
I chose the one which gave me comfort, and made me feel glee

Purple flowers bloomed by the mud covered bank, some trampled upon,
There was beauty there, a beauty that came with pain.

I walked on the cobbled street, as it led my way,
And soon I came to my city, where my heart felt at peace.

The walls rose high on either sides, as I walked past them,
The city was alive, as life bloomed around me.

Beautiful women wished me luck with smiles as I passed,
And my path twisted and turned, as it ended at my fate.

I was hesitant to knock, as I stood by the gate.
I was hesitant to knock, "Fifteen years", I thought,

I could see the eyes that looked at me, eyes that surrounded me,
I could see the lifeless smiles, which would never cease.

The knock hadn't lost its charm, when the gates opened,
Beyond the gates lay my life, lay the memories I gained.

No face came to greet me, nor a hand to lead me in,
And slowly I picked up my staff, and entered into my memory.

By the porch sat a shriveled figure, shaken with age,
The eyes were cold as stone, with no smile on the face.

I walked in closer to the figure, as it sat by porch,
A greeting did escape my being, as my body wrapped him in a hug.

This is my home, in the city of stones, where no one lives but me,
This is my home, in the city of stones, where the smiles never cease.

1 comments:

Dews said...

Ah, much better! :D