Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Enemy Of an Enemy


The little rat ran, ran for its life,
As the snake pursued its prey,
Around the field the rat ran,
And soon the snake fell behind.

An owl sitting on a nearby tree,
Was enjoying the show at hand,
When it saw the rat about to run,
Run into a borough and spoil its show.

"The borough won't be of much help",
Hearing the hoot, the rat looked up.
"The snake can always follow you,
Right into the hole, you see"

"So let me help", the Owl continued,
"Why should I trust you", the Rat squeaked,
"Well I am your enemy's enemy", retorted the Owl,
"Let me think, I will let you know soon"

The rat knew that owl was right,
"The snake would follow me into the hole,
And may be corner me and eat me,
But how can I trust the owl either?"

"The owl may eat me too, if I stay,
But I think he is for real,
For an enemy's enemy is a friend",
The rat was in a deep thought.

"Help me Mr Owl, for I find you wise,
Help me Mr Owl, for you are correct",
"Promise me you won't leave here, until,
until I come back with the dead snake"

"We can celebrate together", said the owl,
And the rat stood his promise, as the owl darted away,
And a snoop down, the snake writhed in its claws,
It writhed and died soon.

The rat was happy, prepared for a celebration,
When with a hoot, the owl scoped down again,
But this time, the rat was there in its claw.
"Why do you break the promise", asked the rat.

"I never made one", said the owl,
And it flapped along the horizon,
With the new catch, in its claws.
And as it flew it chuckled to itself.

I am for sure the enemy's enemy,
But I never claimed to be the friend.
And it flew, perching on a high branch,
and feasting on its grand catch.



0 comments: