Saturday, September 9, 2017

The Mirror of Scars

The box creaked, as beautiful dream bid farewell,
The velvet walls, broke the bliss,
They broke the silence.

'Sleep', said my spirit,
'Sleep, the nightmare will pass',
The wooden cage creaked,
As the carriage rattled down the stony path.

Yesterday I had seen the sunrise,
Today's just a dream.

The horse neighed,  repose to the hearse
A slow rumble on the cobbled stones,
Sang the shingle, 'Ahoy, and alight'

I heard the box creak again,
Through space I moved,
The squeeny voices of people I knew,
Drowned the being in me.

Yesterday, her face flushed with fear,
Today its a pale smile.

I heard them speak,
Concoction of lies, I sighed,
'They can't hurt',  My spirit replied.

My sins were forgiven, the soul obligated.
My ticket bought, kings I ride with you,
A purple robe sewed for me waited,
'Sleep, as long as you may',

I tried, I failed, the sleep eluded,
I tried, I failed, as dirt hit the box.

Am I dead, I asked,
'You are but asleep', says the preacher
I live, enslaved to trust.

I heard the knock on the wood,
The key clicked, the shambles untwined,
Light dawned, as I walk,
I was finally free, I sighed.

1 comments:

Ravenclaw said...

WOW! This is beautiful! I love how you are speaking from the p.o.v of a dead man. I love the flow of events. This is beautiful, with a slight old world feel which somehow infuses it with nostalgia and regrets, something similar to what the man might be feeling. I love how you have equated death to freedom in the last line.