Friday, November 7, 2014

Journals of Eugen Craplet.


August 2, 1891.

It is on the behest of nurse Bertha, that I start this journal, a way to understand my patients better and to catalog my studies.  
Today was a weary day, gloomy from the start, autumn has started to show her colors, and the whole campus is littered in leaves. The cleaning staff is a weary bunch of lazy crooks, and I had to take matters into my own hands to get the pathway cleared of the derbies from the night long gale. The day as usual was event full with new admissions, and the older admissions trying to scale the walls to their freedom. One subject did stand apart from the rest and the following is an excerpt from the letter she would not let go off. I am no believer of supernaturals, but I think the content of the letter needs to be journaled.

Dear Lillian,
It has been a while, and I think I owe you an explanation for the delay. Tomorrow the last of the settlers leave this island, and soon I would be there by your side. This island settlement has spelled doom for every one here, and even I was not spared. The locals call it the curse, but I choose not to believe in all of these mambo jumbo. My men call it the Rain Fever, and it has claimed more lives than the initial war. I have heard rumors of the infected people feasting on others, but again they are just rumors. Mine workers did find a mutilated and half eaten body of a young man near the ravines, but it can be a doing of the wild beasts too. 
But lately, I have started to fear for my life. I try hard not to believe in the curse, but the harder I try not to, the curse just becomes more believable than a disease. I have been hearing screams of men in the night, and it has left me sleepless, and the mornings just bring in another half eaten body. The screams grow closer every day, and last night I could make out the horror embedded in those screams. I am just hoping I survive tonight. I have lost all of my men, save a few, and I just want to leave this island to its horrors. 
So I am writing you this letter, just in case, I am unable to make it through tonight. I wanted dearly to leave today, but the priority were women and children. I just pray I am able to be with you, and if I don't make it, pray that my soul rests in peace.

Lovingly 
Your Brother
Jonathan.

I recall the name Jonathan from a news article I had read a few days ago about brutal murders in the far eastern islands of Java. Jonathan was the only English man who survived, but he was spotted eating the dead remains of his fellow men.

0 comments: